Sign in to follow this  
Excalibur

Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Announced by Nintendo

Excalibur
You must be signed in to view this content.

Excalibur

Not sure how I feel about this, on one hand this is not unexpected, and could be useful for those who only want to play on the go, on the other hand it does defeat the purpose of the Switch by removing it's ability to "switch" as it can no longer connect to a TV, nor can its joycons be detached. I did notice one thing though, it has a traditional D-pad instead of the 4 separate buttons the original Switch has, though, at this moment, I can't see me picking this up myself but what do you guys think?

Blue Rose

Honestly... first thought was, "Egad, man!  What's the point!?"  ^^;

No offense to anyone who's excited about it though.  When we do eventually get one, we'll probably get the original Switch unless a new Nintendo console has come out by then. ^^;

Palecat

If not for Smash Ultimate, my Switch would almost exclusively be a handheld anyway. So it would be almost perfect, if not for the compromises they made.

Screen size reduction, lack of kickstand, and no HD rumble really hurt it for me. But I like the d-pad and overall form factor (minus massive bezel), plus the color options are nice so far. If there’s no compromise in transferring saves, I’ll consider it eventually. More interested in this than I would be a “pro” or “x” type upgrade that’s also been rumored.

Excalibur

If not for creating in Super Mario Maker 2, my Switch would stay docked for the vast majority of the time.

I suspect there will eventually be a Switch "Home" or "Pro" whether it does the opposite of the Switch Lite, and is strictly a home console without the ability to "switch" or just a more powerful version of the current Switch,  I'm not sure, but I think I would prefer those, over the Switch Lite, While it is interesting and there might be some situations where it could be useful to me, I just really prefer to play my games on a large screen, and even with the DS / 3DS, which i didn't play as much as the home consoles, i preferred the XL versions of those because of the larger screens. But i do appreciate having different options.

Palecat

I think a “docked” exclusive version would be a great next step too, cutting out the screen, speakers, and batteries putting it in price parity with the Lite. The more options the better. Hate the whole mid-cycle upgrade trend though, and Nintendo’s history with DSi and New 3DS took away the “option” part by having exclusive games, so I hope they don’t do a power upgrade again.

Excalibur

I think if they do a more powerful upgrade, basically all games would still work on the original and lite switch models, there might be a few exceptions but IMO it wouldn't be wise to start having exclusive games between Switch models like the did with the 3DS, not a fan of that at all. I think that if anything, more demanding games would likely just run better, with a higher resolution and framerate and possibly other enhancements, on a "Switch Pro" but still playable on the other Switch models, and if they did go the way of the "Switch Home" and they could probably keep costs similar to the current cost of the original model of the switch, since it wouldn't need a screen and ect, I really think that would be the way to go, similar to how Sony and Microsoft did their mid-console gen upgrades, again more options the better, no version of the Switch should be left behind, and that should last until the "Switch 2" or whatever they call it, because i suspect from Nintendo at least, the hybrid console idea is here to stay, for at least the foreseeable future.

Kagetora

Yea, at this point, a more powerful Switch is probably going to happen... What I'd be curious about is would they stick with the Tegra chips from Nvidia or do like the other console makers and opt for a more powerful Ryzen chip? Perhaps even a custom made APU? One that is slightly cut down to fit in the Switch and would also have less heat? All I can say is the NS Lite was pretty much the worst kept secret in Gaming since we all pretty much knew Nintendo was up to something.

We just weren't completely sure what it would end up being called but we pretty much all knew some sort of Switch Mini was in the works. Might pick one up at some point since it should be a little more portable friendly. Since it's about the size of a smart phone only with Joy-Cons glued onto each end. :P